Outdoor Activities in Pinedale Wyoming
There are many outdoor activities around Pinedale, Wyoming. Pinedale is nestled in the picturesque Wind River Mountains. The Sundance Motel lists some of the highlights that our visitors are looking for below.
Maps – The Forest Service Motor Use Maps are available here.
Pinedale Online Trail Links – Good resource for getting an overview of hiking.
Take advantage of the beautiful drive up the Fremont Lake road continuing past White Pine Ski Area to the Elkhart Trailhead. See the Fremont Lake area portion of the Motor Map link above. This gives the best access to Gannett Peak – the highest point in Wyoming. Another good link from SummitPost.org is here.
The 2nd largest natural lake in Wyoming. You’ll be amazed at the crystal clearness of this glacial lake. Be prepared to feel the coldness of the snow fed lake – even in the summer. Walking the Civilian Conservation Corps trail is an easy 1-2 mile hike that you can’t miss. With the beautiful setting and only a 4 mile drive from the Sundance Motel, you won’t want to leave Pinedale without spending some time here.
Big Sandy Draw
Also known as Big Sandy Trailhead, this is the best access to the Cirque of the Towers (see picture on opening page). The road to the trailhead is rough – more for trucks/SUVs than cars – and is about a 50 mile trip because of the roads you must take. Here is a good link from Summitpost.org.
Although Mountain Biking isn’t allowed in the wilderness areas, there are multiple other options as shown below. A good overview can be found at this Pinedale Mountain Biking Link. Mountain Bikes can be rented at the local A to Z Hardware store.
- Big Sandy Opening/Muddy Ridge – Various trails you can ride.
- Fremont Lake – Ride on a smooth blacktop asphalt road up to Fremont lake and then back to town – approximately 9 miles with some steep terrain.
- Half Moon Lake – A bit further ride than Fremont Lake but basically the same route.
- Green River Lakes – A fairly long trip from Pinedale to the Green River Lakes Trailhead. After you get here, a short hike will take you to some beautiful country.
Numerous lakes around Pinedale offer fishing. You can buy a fishing license almost anywhere in Pinedale – just look for the signs.
- Soda Lake
- Fremont Lake
- Half Moon Lake
- Boulder Lake
- Green River Lakes
As you can see there are many activities to enjoy around Pinedale. Ask for more information or brochures at the front desk of the Sundance Motel.
Wind River Mountain Hotel Room Pages
- Pinedale Wyoming Single Queen Bed Room
- Pinedale Wyoming Single King Bed Room
- Pinedale Wyoming Double Queen Bed Rooms